Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Santa Barbara

This past Tuesday, Johnny and I decided to drive up to Santa Barbara and Solvang. Our original plan was to go to Monterey, but its waaaaay to far, so Santa Barbara was good enough.

So we set off around 9 and it only took us two hours to get to Santa Barbara. We arrived for lunch and ate at Habit, which is a burger "stand" off of state st. We went back to the parking garage a few times to go in and out so that parking would stay free. We cheated the system a little bit, and took a few pictures while we were at it.We then walked up and down state st for a few hours and were planning on going whale watching. I had never been, so I was pretty excited about it. BUT, they called me and canceled because it was too windy... boo. So, to cheer us up, we headed over to the Santa Barbara mission! It was definitely not what I remember from 4th grade, and there were pretty much only 4th graders and their parents there. And while we were driving to the mission, we entered a neighborhood where I easily convinced him that this (below) was the mission...It was sweet... So then we decided to head out to Solvang, which is about 45 minutes north from Santa Barbara. The drive was beautiful...

We passed through this really cool tunnel that went through a mountain, holding our breathe the whole way of course.After finally arriving, we realized that there isnt really much to do in the good ole' city of Solvang, except buy pastries I guess.Oh and take pictures with this guy...
And each other...
So we finished somewhat quickly in Solvang, and headed back to Santa Barbara because there was a big famers maket that I WAS NOT going to miss. The drive back was also expecially beautiful because I turned at the 1 and drove about 20 miles in another direction. The hills were so big and so green! Then I turned around realizing that I was wasting precious famers market time and headed again towards Santa Barbara, but not without stopping to take a picture of the water.(and that truck)
The famers market was crazy windy, so a lot of their vendors started taking down their stuff, but I made it just in time to buy some beautiful orchids and yummy strawberries (which sadly are not pictured).
The trip was an overall success and it was definitely a motivation to do more trips like it in the future. Spring break sure is awesome.


No comments: